Malaysia have 9 Royal Families.
The nine Rulers are;
Sultan of Johor
Sultan of Kedah
Al-Sultan of Kelantan
Yang Dipertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan (literally known as Great Ruler)
Sultan of Perak
Raja of Perlis
Sultan of Selangor
Sultan of Terengganu
Sultan of Pahang
According to the Constitutions, King of Malaysia functions as;
- the powers that he exercises on the advice of the Prime Minister, a Minister, the Cabinet, the Conference of Rulers or some other officer or institution
- the powers that he exercises at his discretion (without the consent of any other authority).
The circle of seniority of states
It is also know as the King circle's. Each states will take turns to hold the positions.
the Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan
the Sultan of Selangor
the Raja of Perlis
the Sultan of Terengganu
the Sultan of Kedah
the Sultan of Kelantan
the Sultan of Pahang
the Sultan of Johor
the Sultan of Perak
Up until now, the succession order still follow the cycle. The Ruler may reject the installation under special condition.
The Kings of our past
Here are the list of Sultan that has serve as the King of Malaysia.
- Tuanku Abdul Rahman of Negeri Sembilan
- Sultan Hisamuddin Alam Shah of Selangor
- Tuanku Syed Putra of Perlis
- Sultan Ismail Nasirudin Shah of Terengganu
- Tuanku Abdul Halim of Kedah
- Sultan Yahya Petra of Kelantan
- Sultan Ahmad Shah Al-Mustain Billah of Pahang
- Sultan Iskandar of Johor
- Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah of Perak
- Tuanku Jaafar of Negeri Sembilan
- Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz of Selangor
- Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin of Perlis
- Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin of Terengganu
- Tuanku Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah of Kedah
My history teachers always said, You must be born lucky to become the King of Malaysia. Born into a royal family, Heir apparent to the state, and crowned as a Sultan/Raja. (Requirement that must be fulfilled before you can be installed as the King for just 5 years.)
The next post will be about the royal family of each respective states.
:: This article is subject for amendment, the latest amendment was made on 12th April 2012.